I love books. This is a blog of the books that I have read both past and present. Each book will receive a quick rundown that includes a rating suggested by me and anyone else in my family who has read the book. I use the school grading system, with A+ being the best, to score the books. If books use profanity or contain inappropriate content I will note this in my summary. Feel free to contact me anytime to talk books and if you live near me I am always willing to loan out my books! amyjcaz@hotmail.com

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Speak By Laurie Halse Anderson

Book Type: Young Adult
Rating: A+
Recommended For: Older Teens and up
Genre: Real Life Drama
Themes: High School/Rape/Art
Main Character: Female
Annotation: Despite the fact that I despise stories that include a rape, I loved this book. Not only is the rape NOT discussed in full detail, it is handled in an appropriate manner, but it is discussed throughout the book. Laurie Anderson does a superb job using humor to lighten the mood of this book. My mom shares my loathing of rape books and she too thought this was a great read. I would allow my younger teens to read this book only after I had read it myself and was able to discuss the issues with them. Once again, believe me when I say that this book isn't full of doom and gloom but is a sweet story of how a young girl faces ridicule at school after calling the cops at the last big drinking party. No one else knows what happened to her at the party and she must come to terms with her problems alone.

1 comment:

  1. I finished this one last month. I have to say, this one was definitely a book I'll pick up and read again. The dark humor and the way she observes and comments on life at high school is great. I'm glad you and Alicia recommended it to me.

    ReplyDelete