I love books. This is a blog of the books that I have read both past and present. Each book will receive a quick rundown that includes a rating suggested by me and anyone else in my family who has read the book. I use the school grading system, with A+ being the best, to score the books. If books use profanity or contain inappropriate content I will note this in my summary. Feel free to contact me anytime to talk books and if you live near me I am always willing to loan out my books! amyjcaz@hotmail.com

Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Long Way From Chicago By Richard Peck

Book Type: Young Adult
Amy's Rating: A+
Amy's mom's Rating: A+ She liked this one better than A Year Down Yonder
Recommended for: All Ages 3rd Grade and up
Genre: Adventure/ Comedy
Themes: Family, Small Town, Adventure
Main Characters: Grandma Dowdel, Teen Boy, Teen Girl
Annotation: When Joey and his sister Mary-Alice make summer visits to their Grandma's small town, the two city slickers are in for the adventures of a lifetime. You never know what Grandma will be up to next or what she might do at any given moment.
In 1929 they see their first corpse and "he isn't resting easy"
In 1930 Grandma takes care of the town hoodlums with a dead mouse and a bottle of milk
In 1931 the kids help grandma trespass, pinch property, poach, catch the sheriff in his underwear and feed the hungry---all in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment