I love books. This is a blog of the books that I have read both past and present. Each book will receive a quick rundown that includes a rating suggested by me and anyone else in my family who has read the book. I use the school grading system, with A+ being the best, to score the books. If books use profanity or contain inappropriate content I will note this in my summary. Feel free to contact me anytime to talk books and if you live near me I am always willing to loan out my books! amyjcaz@hotmail.com

Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Girl Named Zippy By Haven Kimmel

Book Type: Adult Literature
Amy's Rating: A+
Amy's Mom's Rating: B
Alicia's Rating:B
Recommended For: Older Teens and Up for some language and adult themes
Genre: Memoir
Themes: Growing up in a small town, Family, Friends
Main Character: Haven Kimmel or Zippy
Annotation: If a book makes me laugh out loud I consider it a good one. If a book draws me in to the life of the character I love it all the more. This book does all that and more. It reads like the author is sitting with you and telling you the stories as they come to her. Don't let this get to you. She mostly stays in chronological order but often she slips in something that happened in the past. Just enjoy the book for the life that it has. I love Haven Kimmel's writing style, she really is a great story teller. Now how much is actually true and how much has been dressed up doesn't matter to me...it's that good.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished this book and thought it was so funny. I really like the writing style, too. I also like it because it's made up of short stories and you can really just open it anywhere and get a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, it's Lori, I just found this book blog of yours. I read this book and thought it was hilarious. Did you read the 2nd one? This book had some parts that made me smile, but the 2nd one had one part that made me laugh out loud and that is hard for me to do.

    ReplyDelete